Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Montessori baby room

Did I mention that baby is now able to roll over by himself? And not only is he able, he absolutely loves it! He'll roll over immediately as long as he is on a horizontal surface! It's hilarious, exciting (my baby is growing up so fast!), but also scary. You know, the usual new mummy worries - that he'll roll off the changing table, or roll off my bed, or roll and bump his head on something hard, etc. The main worry though, is that he'll roll and get his arms or legs caught in the bars on his cot and get hurt trying to free himself, or that he'll roll and hit his head on the hard wooden bars.

I've put in the cot bumpers now to help soften the bumps. But that was after much consideration. After all, almost all baby/parenting sites/books strong discourage the use of cot bumpers due to the increased risk of SIDS. The fear is that baby will somehow get trapped between the bumpers and the mattress, or get entangled in the bumper straps. Some research also shows that the air in the cot get very stale (which increases the risk of SIDS) due to the bumpers restricting air circulation.

But then, I've also read a lot about babies who get the arms or legs between the bars, and then BREAK them trying to free themselves, or give themselves a concussion after bumping their head on the wooden bars. SIGH.

So while looking for an alternative solution, I've pit the bumpers in while making sure that : - the bumper straps are tied tightly and away from baby's reach; - that there are no gaps in between the bumper and mattress; - and that baby's room is always well-ventilated when he's sleeping.

And of course, being the over-anxious new mummy that I am, constantly checking on him, making sure that his nose and mouth is always clear from the mattress or bumper.

So. That's the current arrangement. But I can't possibly sustain this for long. I'm getting really exhausted from the constant checks! haha

So while doing research on alternatives to the cot, I've discovered the Montessori floor bed! It's basically just a mattress on the floor. haha.



1 month later...

Ok, I wrote the above paragraphs one month ago, got interrupted, and forgot all about it, and here I am picking it up again!

Anyway, the bunny little's room has been transformed from a run-of-the-mill baby room into a toddler's adventure land! Except he's not exactly a toddler yet! haha!

I love his room so much, I want to sleep in it with him all the time! Except I'll get no sleep because he always treats me as an exciting obstacle course he has to climb over every time.

So we have a Ikea mattress on the floor, low shelving (baby-proofed! All corners padded) for his toys, and a huge playmat for him to play on. And of course the child-safe bladeless fan courtesy of the mahjongkakis aunties and uncles!

That was the initial arrangement. Until he got mobile and curious enough to venture outside the confines of the play mat and mattress. So we had to baby-proof the entire room with Daiso play mats (cheap cheap!), and pillows and cushions and cot & playpen mattresse and diaper packs! haha

Nice?



1 comment:

  1. I just helped my sister baby proof her room. I think we went a little over board but better to be safe than sorry. The entire floor is covered with the foam baby play mats and padding on every hard surface. My sister is a little dramatic, but the room looks great! I wish we would have done the mattress on the floor like you did, that was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete